Friday, November 5, 2010

Flashback Fridays ~ Melissa Hill Moss Wedding Dress

I wish I could put all of my past projects online, but on top of forgetting to take pictures of oh so many projects that are now in other people's hands (don't worry, I've definitely kicked myself in the pants about that a time or two!) there really just isn't enough time in any week to make a post that long, and ya'll wouldn't have time to read it all either! So, as a good compromise between the side of me that wants to document almost everything and the side of me that just doesn't have time to, my amazing sister suggested doing a Flashback Friday now and then to highlight a memory--I meant to mostly use it for my personal blog, but it is absolutely needed here as well!

So I'm going to start with my most recent big project--the wedding dress for Melissa Hill Moss! When she came to me, she'd gotten a beautiful beaded wedding gown from David's Bridal, but it had no sleeves! With a little ingenuity and episodes of "Lost" to keep my company, I knew I could give her a beautiful solution.


We wanted to make sure she felt beautiful and confident but we didn't want her to have to wear a shawl all night long, so I designed a collar and sleeves to work into the top of the bodice, with a square neck in front to frame her lovely face and a v-neck in back to draw the eye down to the beautiful train.




The train of the dress was super long, but it had a gorgeous beaded design, so I wanted to accent it as much as possible while making it more maneuverable for her. With a simple hook and eye strategically placed at the top of the design, she had a new bustle to hustle in!






We also didn't want it to look like the sleeves were an afterthought, so after giving her a nice collar and sleeves, I used some extra beaded panels on the sleeves, tying it in with the bodice, and hand beaded the collar edges for a sophisticated flair.

Leave a comment and tell me what you think of it!

3 comments:

Who we are said...

Tana, this turned out really well! I love your blog, you are so talented. I'm just starting to update mine, but it still needs a lot of work. http://sewsmartdesign.blogspot.com/

Jamie Zvirzdin said...

Wow! Well done!

Karen Dick said...

Pretty! I wouldn't have guessed it was a sleeveless!